Monday, May 24, 2010

The "ABCs of US Elections"

Empower yourself by understanding the "ABCs of US elections."
Please forward this email to your friends.

What is a PRIMARY election?

Every Am. officials, whether federal, state, county, city or local,
normally go through two election -- a PRIMARY election (P.E.) & a
GENERAL election (G.E.).

In a P.E., only party members are allowed to vote. Purpose? To select a
representative for their party (e.g. Republican or Democratic or
Libertarian Party) to run in the GENERAL election. In CA, the
Democratic Party allows Declines/Independents to vote in its primary.

Which Is More Important, the PRIMARY or GENERAL?

The GENERAL is the more important, most will say, because the persons
who win the GENERAL become the officials. BUT!!!! For a small minority
like us, the PRIMARY is often the better instrument to protect our rights.

How so? Remember the CA primary of the 2008 presidential election?
That was where and when Asian Ams. got Sen. Obama to reply to 80-20's
questionnaire. More explanation will be given later.

A current example of how Asian Ams may have a larger impact in a P.E.
is Ted Lieu's campaign for Attorney General. He faces at least 5 other
opponents. However, if all Asian Ams. Democrats and Declines vote for
him in CA's Dem primary on June 8th, Ted will win. No endorsement of
Ted is implied in this email.

How could the 8% AsAm voters in CA control the Dem Primary?

Think more carefully! Most CA Dem's don't vote in a Dem. primary. An
even smaller fraction of Declines vote in a Dem. primary. Hence, if all
Asian Am Democrats and Declines vote in that primary, our % vote in the
6/8 primary will increase from 8% to about 20%. If those 20% will do a
bloc vote, Ted Lieu's victory will be guaranteed. For the power of a bloc
vote see the footnote.

Understanding the US elections enables you to protect your rights, often
better than hiring lawyers. It gives you the equal opportunity to become
cabinet secretaries, life-tenured federal judges, managers in Fortune
500s, administrators in universities. It short, it enables you to live to the
maximum of your potentials in whichever profession you are in.

80-20 has repeatedly demonstrated that every election can be used by
us to secure our rightful interests by the casting of a bloc vote.

Comments are welcome at

Respectfully yours,

S. B. Woo,
President, 80-20 Educational Foundation, Inc.

A numerical example demonstrating the power of a bloc vote
Two candidates run against each other in a political division, which for
simplicity is assumed to have two constituent groups only. One group has
one million votes (8%) and the other has 11 million votes (92%). Candidate
A, a novice, courts the larger group. When the ballots are open, candidate
A wins the larger community by the ratio of 52/48. The margin of
difference is 4%. Since the larger group has 11 millions votes, 4% of 11
million votes provides a winning margin of 440,000 votes to candidate A.
His opponent, candidate B, is a seasoned politician. She courts the smaller
group knowing its ability to deliver a bloc vote in the ratio of 8 to 2, as the
black and Jewish communities can. B wins that community by a ratio of
80 to 20. The difference between 80% and 20% is 60%. 60% of 1 million
votes is 600,000 votes. As a result, candidate B wins the election by
(600,000 - 440,000) or 160,000 votes. Astounding? Does that knowledge
empower you?