Our readers wrote in to praise 80-20 for calling out David Tian Wang(王湉, 別名天天), who intentionally misled our community. At least 3 of the 13 who wrote in have heard Tian Tian's misleading statement, before 80-20 exposed his lies. Big lies spread fast. So we are NOT making a mountain out of a molehill.
Unbelievably, Tian Tian may still be lying on WeChat, if a reader reported his statements correctly. See item 13 in this e-newsletter. See also the relevant law, appended at the very end.
(1) On Jun 12, 2017, at 5:43 PM, Fumiko Tanakaxxxxx@hotmail.com wrote: Dear S.B. - Thank you for your timely investigation and excellent article. Shiro
(2) On Jun 12, 2017, at 12:36 PM, Ben firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: Great Job ! Thanks S.B.
(3) On Jun 12, 2017, at 2:41 PM, Zhu Kuang email@example.com; wrote: Hello Dr. Woo, Thank you for sending this email to me. This is the first time I saw it, I might miss some emails. I really appreciated your hard work. At least,we have something to tell our community. I have followed your wechat account. Thanks again. Sherry
Note: Sherry was the first to report Tian Tian's false claims to 80-20.
(4) On Jun 12, 2017, at 1:16 PM, Mike Ong firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: Dr Woo, Thank you for the information. The dark side of the population exists in all communities, and races. I suggest you not offer to work with these people. Be safe. Mike
(5) On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:43 PM, Chao Hsieh email@example.com wrote: This guy not only gave a black eye to Chinese American, but also lend credence to ONE of the Trump's battle cries, i.e., FAKE and Illegal Voters. Should 80-20 take further action to name this person and expose him in a very public way, public at least in the sense for all the Asian Community to see? This is because in his chats, he was flouting the law and being blatant about it. The irony was that he even admonished his chat followers "to know the law so not be afraid of it . . . "
By the way, my suggestion should not be construed as a support to Trump, regardless to Parties or politics. While I don't know if this were wide spread in OTHER minority communities, especially of those not legal voters, but I feel that even ONE among us is shameful, and should make him drink his own koolaids, as the saying goes. Thank you for listening to my rant, not usually my habit.
(6) On Jun 14, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Chauho Leung firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: Very disturbing. What is he trying to do?
(7) On Jun 14, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Temay So email@example.com wrote: Dear SB, I commend you for stepping out from your retirement to talk with authority about shameful betrayal of this kind. It would be good to track down the true identity of these two men. They could very well be non-Chinese with Chinese names. Temay So
My answer to Temay: "David Tian Wang is a real person. SB"
(8) & (9) I also got an email which said," You and your organization is disgusting." And another person thanked 80-20 for "having called out Wang's lies."
(10) On June 15, 2017 at 12:52:05 AM EDT, Ray Hing firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: Dr. Woo: This is great. I have been looking for this kind of investigation reportever since I saw Tian Tian's posting his lies about voting is allowed in California with only Green Card. Thanks for sharing this to everyone. When I return from China, I will send in my overdue membership fee. Kindly remind me how much is the membership dues now. Thanks. Ray Hing
(11) On June 15, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Don Sun email@example.com wrote: Morning, I personally could not agree with you more! Thank you so much to spend time to do investigation and release this statement. Public, especially Chinese from mainland are in deep trouble of false information and we need to provide more to help them even many are hopeless. I never stop working with them even some "extremist"
We encourage them to get engaged first, they like media attention, give them, they need fans, give them but sooner or later they will realize all we need is truth and fact to build long term relationship and power. The only thought I can provide for this Tian Tian is to give him an option in public and allow him to do some other good things. Don
(12) On Jun 15, 2017, at 8:44 PM, james chai firstname.lastname@example.org wrote: Should report the incident to California AG and request an investigation.
- - - - - - -
Is David Wangstill misleading us? See this reader's email to me
(13) On Jun 12, 2017, at 7:02 PM, Alan Zeng email@example.com wrote: Dear Dr. Woo: I forwarded this message to one of a wechat groups I'm in. Surprisingly, without my awareness, David Tian Wangis in the same group. He is not happy about the information and pointed to me that some of the facts are not correct:
* He is not US citizen * He did not officially vote;but he casted a ballot ("投废票"，as he said ）
If you like, I would like you two connected and get the facts cleared.
My answer to Alan: "I am surprised that he is only unhappy. He should be ashamed. However, as I said we are willing to work with him still if he is willing to apologize to our community for intentionally misleading it." If indeed he cast a ballot, then he is in deep trouble. See the relevant law (18 U.S. Code § 611 - Voting by aliens) shown at the end.
U.S. Code ' Title 18 ' Part I ' Chapter 29 ' § 611
18 U.S. Code § 611 -Voting by aliens
(a) It shall be unlawful for any alien to vote in any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing a candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, unless-
(1) the election is held partly for some other purpose; [CA doesn't permit provision (a) (1) during a federal election. Hence, this section is NOT applicable to David Tian Wang. Note added by S. B. Woo on 6/16/2017.]
(2) aliens are authorized to vote for such other purpose under a State constitution or statute or a local ordinance; and
(3)voting for such other purpose is conducted independently of voting for a candidate for such Federal offices, in such a manner that an alien has the opportunity to vote for such other purpose, but not an opportunity to vote for a candidate for any one or more of such Federal offices.
(b) Any person who violates this section shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than one year, or both. (Emphasis added.)
(c)Subsection (a) does not apply to an alien if-
(1) each natural parent of the alien (or, in the case of an adopted alien, each
adoptive parent of the alien) is or was a citizen (whether by birth or naturalization);
(2) the alien permanently resided in the United States prior to attaining the age of 16; and
(3) the alien reasonably believed at the time of voting in violation of such subsection that he or she was a citizen of the United States.