1) Ironically, the reply's 3rd paragraph stated "The FBI encourages timely, ...information-sharing with ... the general public." (emphasis added). It's so sad to see that the FBI's words contradicted the FBI 's actions in a short one-pager. Is a reply after 3 months timely?
2) The reply was decidedly NOT a form letter in that it refers to specific matters I mentioned. However, it was full of platitudes such as "... the FBI does not use ethnicity or national origin as the basis to open an investigation ..." To me, such bureaucratic answers reflect that the FBI higher ups are completely unaware of the general public's perception of the FBI's actions. Clickhere to read public statements from the academic, scientific and industrial pharmaceutical world about the FBI's actions and planned actions.SAD!
3) My letter to Dir. Wray directly confronted his advocacy to use a "whole-of-society approach (WOSA)" to catch Chinese spies. My letter mentioned "WOSA" or the equivalent 14 times pointing to the central and collateral damage of Wray's attempts to use a "Chinese totalitarian methodology to deal with an American challenge."
Ironically, Assistant Dir. Sullivan's reply mentioned WOSA or the equivalent ZERO times. How conspicuously un-usal! Is there a hidden message?
4) A tentative conclusion: The FBI might have backed off its "whole-of-society approach" to catch Chinese spies.
If so, that is GREAT NEWS! We appreciate Asst. Dir. Sullivan taking the time to understand our concerns. His reply is shown below for your examination:
[A] Evidence of the total rejection of FBI Dir. Wray's totalita-rian "whole-of-society approach," to catch Chinese Spies
1) Rejection by the Academic World:
a) Since Feb 21, 2019, elite colleges, one after another, including UC, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT and Yale joined the movement to send out campus-wide communication stating that they rejected the idea of being enlisted by the FBI to actively assist the FBI to catch Chinese spies on their own campuses.
a) On July 4, 2019 ,a letter from The Committee of Concerned Scientists to Pres. Trump stated "Today CCS is writing to express its concern about the profiling of ethnic Chinese scientists by the U.S. government, which includes American citizens and U.S. permanent residents."
b) In a September 4 letter, 60 science groups, including AAAS, which is the world's largest non-governmental science organization, called on DOD, NSF, NIH, DOE and OSTP for an end to Washington's crackdown on foreign-born researchers.
3) Rejection by the Industrial Biomedical Research and Drug Development
On August 21, 2019, a group of 150 pharmaceutical chiefs & scientists in the U.S. published a letter titled"Chinese scientists and US leadership in the life sciences." It warned that recent actions by government agencies and universities with respect to Chinese scientists in the U.S. could threaten U.S. leadership in biomedical science.
[B]Evidence of YOUR handin achieving this total rejection
1) YOUsupported 80-20 EF's "Call To Action" [click (1), (2), & (3)] and got the presidents of most of the best US universities to be aware that YOU strongly oppose the "whole-of-society approach" advocated by FBI Dir. Wray, which violates YOUR rights. YOUR support of EF's "Call" led to the rejections seen in [A] 1).
06/24/2019 to YOUR colleagues and friends. In that tough letter, Woo described Wray as "using the Chinese totalitarianmethodology to deal with an American challenge." He also pointed out that Wray's "whole-of-society approach" has predictably
(i) sent gifts - our top scientists - to China, (ii) helped China stop its brain drain, and
(iii) begun to destroy the only reliable domestic source of science talents in our high schools. Note that US delegates to International Olympiads of Chemistry, Physics and Math in the last 5 yrs, are at least 80% Chinese-Ams. If Wray's profiling of all scientists of Chinese origin doesn't stop, these young science talents will leave science for sure.
Those deep concerns were later reflected in the rejection of Wray's methodology seen in [A] 2) and 3).
[C]TOGETHER, we shall overcome!
80-20 EF was the first and only org.to directly confront FBI Dir. Wray's "whole-of-society approach" to profile us. We sent many e-newsletters pointing to its many severe central & peripheral damages. YOU helped spread EF's message to every stratum of our nation. The great organizations, shown in section [A], responded to our concerns. Result? The total rejection of "whole of society approach" advocated by FBI Dir. Wray against us.