The bigger empowerment is neither known nor appreciated thus far.
Background Info: The time was Jan. 30, 2014. The Democratic majority in the Cafornia Senate had passed "Senate Constitutional Amendment 5", SCA-5, with a 2/3 vote. If CA's lower chamber, the Assembly, would also have passed it with a 2/3 vote, the amendment would become a part of CA'sconstitution, The new law would have permitted "race preference admissions" by CA colleges. Off-hand, the passing of SCA-5 seemed assured, since 2/3 of the Assembly members were Democrats.
Nationally, the elite colleges had used such admissions policies to discriminate against AsAm students. For example, AsAm applicants were forced to yield 140 SAT points to white applicants in order to gain equal access, all other qualifications being equal. Can you imagine asking minority students to give advantages to the majority students and calling it an affirmative action? It is blatant and despicable discrimination against AsAm children.
There were many AsAm members in the CA Senate and Assembly. All were Democrats. Initially, they all supported SCA-5, seemingly assuring the passage of SCA-5. See how elected AsAm officials may actually workagainst our core interests?
1. 80-20 sprang to action. We mostly worked on the AsAm politicians. Other organizations mostly worked on organizing demonstrations.
2. CA state Sen. Ted Lieu was the first to agree with 80-20, causing the Dems to lose their 2/3 vote in the senate. Soon, many AsAm Assemblypersons declared their oppositions to SCA-5. The Dems lost its "assured" 2/3 vote for SCA-5 in both the Senate & the Assembly. On 3/17/2015, SCA-5 was declared DEAD.
Empowerment 1: Our community successfully defended our core interests!
Empowerment 2: We made sure that elected AsAm officials will henceforth share our rightful concerns. The following is why:
1. While the battles were raging, Sen. Leland Yee & Assemblyman Paul Fong, who was the Chair of the AsAm Assembly Caucus, were particularly obstinate.
2.To prevent the recurrence of such outrageous betrayal in the future, 80-20 declared on 3/21/2014 to drive them out of politics. Click here to verify. See 3. Q (2). In less than a year, both were driven out of politics.
3. AsAm elected officials had witnessed what had happened to Sen. Leland Yee and Assemblyman Paul Fong when they ignored our core interests.This is an extremely important empowerment, that people outside of politics may NOT understand until it is clearly stated and explained.
The Jewish-Am leadership of AIPAC is particularly effective in punishing politicians who work against their core interests. They were known to have driven out 2 US senators and a few Congresspersons. So most U.S. politicians choose to be cooperative on issues that AIPAC cares deeply about. That is why the Jewish-Ams, through AIPAC, pack so much political clout.
Want to do YOUR share to empower ourselves?
1. Donate to SELF (Self Empowerment Long-term Fund): Click here. Sending a check? Send to Stephen Lin, 969 Acalanes Rd, Lafayette CA 94549.
2. Sign the petition to stop the discrimination against AsAm students, click here. Thank you.
S. B. Woo
President and a volunteer for the past 18 years
80-20 Educational Foundation, Inc, a 501 C-3 organization, http://www.80-20educationalfoundation.org/index.php